Groenvoer Groom Training Course
The course will provide basic feeding, grooming, tack, farrier and vet care guidelines. The tutors will include feed analyst Penny Barnes, veterinary nurse Nikita Ware, farrier Mitzi van der Merwe and stable yard owner Karen Portman, owner of Capriole Stables. We will have translators.
The feeding tutorial includes
- Short overview of different horse types and conformation
- Why horses need balanced rations – what contribution do the different ingredients make to the horse’s well-being
- What determines the feeding of different protein feeds 10%, 12% or 14%
- Danger signs of unacceptable quality in feed and fodder
- The importance of weighing feed
- Regular feeding as a colic prevention step
- Stock control
- Poisonous paddock plants
The grooms will also be shown how we mix our Groenvoer feeds.
The stable management lessons will include
- Correct mucking out
- Dismantling a bridle, cleaning, oiling and re-assembling it
- The correct way to hold and store saddlery
- How to put a halter on and how to lead a horse
- How to groom a horse
- How to saddle up
- Inspecting paddocks and arenas for faulty fencing which could cause injury
- Exercise – the importance of gradually building up a program
The basic veterinary lesson will cover
- Danger signs – what to watch out for and when to phone the vet
- How to prepare for the vet’s visit
- Common horse care mistakes
- Hoof care
- Treating small abrasions
- Bandaging sprained muscles
- Deworming – how and when to administer, and the importance of regular removal of droppings from paddocks
- First aid kit essentials
The grooms will also be provided with notes and graphics to take home with them. These will include a list of First Aid Kit essentials, worm cycle charts, basic anatomy, stock sheets to facilitate different feeding schedules, re-order reminders and telephone contact numbers.
The grooms will also receive a certificate at the end of the course, and a small memento of the course.
We want to give your groom a new appreciation of his role in the management of your animals.
We know that we produce superior quality feed.
We want it fed to your animals by well trained grooms – holistic animal management at its best.